© 2021 Author(s)
Published by Firenze University Press
This book is an objective, evidence-based analysis of the empirical findings, methodologies and conclusions of the three main national inquiries (Irish, US, Australian) into child sexual abuse in the Catholic Church and of the responses of the Catholic Church to child sexual abuse. As such, it stands in contrast to the overall media reporting of the problem. Based on the evidence of these inquiries it draws two major conclusions. Firstly, child sexual abuse in the Catholic Church in the countries surveyed, while widespread during the 60s and 70s, is largely an historical problem. Secondly, safe-guarding mechanisms introduced into the Catholic Church since the 90s have been effective in curbing child sexual abuse.
Child sexual abuse, Catholic Church, Historical, False allegations, Royal Commission
- Age of Consent. n.d. “United States Age of Consent Map.” Accessed June 18, 2019. https://www.ageofconsent.net/
- Age of Inquiry. n.d. “A global mapping of institutional abuse inquiries.” Accessed June 13, 2020.
- American Medical Association Council on Scientific Affairs. 1994. “Report on memories of childhood abuse, American Medical Association.” International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis, 93 (5): 114-17.
- Ampleforth Abbey. n.d. “Report: RC-F95.” https://www.iicsa.org.uk/key-documents/19412/view/AAT000854_013.pdf
- An oblate of Mary Immaculate. 2017. “The moral challenge posed to religious about the cost of redress.” http://oblates.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/The-moral-challenge-posed-to-religious-about-the-cost-of-redress-updated.pdf
- Anonymous. n.d.d. “Dane Allen’s story.” The Royal Commission into the Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. Accessed January 21, 2021. https://www.childabuseroyalCommission.gov.au/narratives/dane-allans-story
- Anonymous. n.d.a. “Louis Anthony’s story.” The Royal Commission into the Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. Accessed January 21, 2021. https://www.childabuseroyalCommission.gov.au/narratives/louis-anthonys-story
- Anonymous. n.d.b. “Neville William’s story.” The Royal Commission into the Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. Accessed January 21, 2021. https://www.childabuseroyalCommission.gov.au/narratives/neville-williams-story
- Anonymous. n.d.c. “Winston’s story.” The Royal Commission into the Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. Accessed January 21, 2021. https://www.childabuseroyalCommission.gov.au/narratives/winstons-story
- Associated Press. 2019. “New wave of sexual-abuse lawsuits could cost Catholic Church more than $4 billion.” https://www.marketwatch.com/story/new-wave-of-sexual-abuse-lawsuits-could-cost-catholic-church-over-4-billion-2019-12-02
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. n.d. “Consumer Price Index Q&A.” Accessed February 21, 2019. http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/webfaq.nsf/home/Consumer+Price+Index+FAQs#Anchor7
- Australian Catholic Bishops Conference and Catholic Religious Australia. 2018. “Australian Catholic Bishops Conference and Catholic Religious Australia’s Response to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.” https://www.catholic.org.au/acbc-media/media-centre/media-releases-new/2139-acbc-and-cra-response-to-the-royal-Commission/file
- Australian Catholic Bishops Conference and Catholic Religious Australia. 2016. “Towards Healing. Principles and procedures in responding to complaints against personnel of the Catholic Church in Australia.” https://ncps.org.au/public/public/41-towards-healing/file
- Australian Catholic Bishops Conference. 1999. “Towards Understanding. A study of factors specific to the Catholic Church which might lead to sexual abuse by priests and religious.”
- Australian Government. n.d. “Guides to Social Policy Law. National Redress Scheme.” Accessed February 21, 2019. http://guides.dss.gov.au/national-redress-guide/2/2/1
- Australian Government. 2020. “Section 314.” Crimes Act 1900. http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/ca190082/s314.html
- Australian Government. 2018. “Royal Commissions Act 1902.” https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2018C00049
- Baer, Justice, et al. 2019. “Judgment in Grand Jury Investigation no. 18 vs CS.” https://cases.justia.com/pennsylvania/supreme-court/2020-18-mm-2019.pdf?ts=1579707280
- Barnett, Fiona. 2015. “Fiona Barnett: The ‘Candy Girl’, the Royal Commission and the NSW Police.” Independent Australia. https://independentaustralia.net/life/life-display/fiona-barnett-candy-girl-and-the-police,8292
- Barry, Paul. 2018. “Approach Some Claims with Caution.” Media Watch. https://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/episodes/approach-some-claims-with-caution/9973098
- Beauvoir, Simone. 1973. The Second Sex. New York: Vintage Books.
- BBN News. 2017. “Child Abuse: 7% of Australian Catholic priests alleged to be involved.” https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-38877158
- BBC News, 2009. “Irish redress scheme.” http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/law_in_action/8139216.stm
- Bowling, Mark. 2018. “More than 2000 Australian Priests Reject Breaking the Seal of Confession.” Catholic Leader. http://catholicleader.com.au/news/more-than-2000-australia-priests-reject-breaking-seal-of-confession
- Brennan, Frank. 2016. “Breaking the seal of the confessional a red herring that will not save one child.” Western Australian. https://www.childabuseroyalCommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/IND.0595.001.0018.pdf
- Brennan, Frank. 2017. “Public Hearing – Case Study 50. (Day 245).” The Royal Commission into the Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. https://www.childabuseroyalCommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/file-list/transcript-day-245.pdf
- Brennan, Frank. 2019. “Truth and Justice after the Pell Verdict.” Eureka Street. Vol. 29, 4 26 http://www.eurekastreet.com.au/article/truth-and-justice-after-the-pell-verdict
- Briere, John N., and Diana M. Elliott. 1994. “Immediate and Long-Term Impacts of Child Sexual Abuse.” The Future of Children, no. 2: 54-69.
- The British Psychological Society. 2010. Guidelines on Memory and the Law. Recommendations from the Scientific Study of Human Memory. Leicester: The British Psychological Society.
- Broken Rites. n.d. “Full story: Father Ridsdale’s life of crime – and the Church’s cover-up.” http://brokenrites.org.au/drupal/node/55
- Browne, Angela, and David Finkelhor. 1986. “Impact of child sexual abuse: A review of the research.” Psychological Bulletin, 99 (1): 66-77.
- Brundage, James A. 1987. Law, Sex and Christian Society in Medieval Europe. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Buell, Samuel W. 1991. “Criminal Abortion Revisited.” 66 New York University Law Review. 1774-1831. https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/faculty_scholarship/2174
- Bullivant, Stephen. 2018. “Allegations of child sexual abuse in the Catholic Church in England and Wales between 1970 and 2015: A Statistical Summary.” https://www.iicsa.org.uk/cy/key-documents/15141/view/CHC001938.pdf
- Burnett, Ros, ed. 2016. Wrongful Allegations of Sexual and Child Abuse. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Carlile, Lord. 2017. “Bishop George Bell. The Independent Review.”
- Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney. n.d. Accessed April 4, 2018.
- CBS Los Angeles. 2019. “Compensation Program Unveiled for Alleged Child Sexual Abuse Victims of Catholic Priests.” https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019/09/17/compensation-program-unveiled-for-alleged-child-abuse-victims-of-catholic-priests/
- Ceci, Stephen J. and Maggie Bruck. 1995. Jeopardy in the courtroom: A scientific analysis of children’s testimony. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Chalkley-Rhoden, Stephanie. 2017. “Victoria renters ‘pushed to the limit’ by record low affordability.” http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-18/rental-affordability-at-record-low-in-victoria/8676532
- Cheit, Ross E. 2014. The Witch-Hunt Narrative: Politics, Psychology, and the Sexual Abuse of Children. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois County Department, Law Division. 2017. “Gretchen Rachel Hammond v Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests.” http://www.themediareport.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Hammond-v-SNAP-complaint-Filed-1-17-17.pdf
- The Commission to Inquire into Child Sexual Abuse. 2009. “Commission Report.” http://www.childabuseCommission.ie/rpt/
- Congregation for Catholic Education. 2005. “Instruction Concerning the Criteria for the Discernment of Vocations with Regard to Persons with Homosexual Tendencies in view of their Admission to the Seminary and Holy Orders.” http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_20051104_istruzione_en.html
- Congregation of Christian Brothers. 2006. “Submission from the Congregation of Christian Brothers to the Commission to Inquire into Child Sexual Abuse on the Review of Financial Matters Relating to the System of Reformatory and Industrial Schools and a Number of Individual Institutions 1939-1969 (Mazars).” http://votf.org/Govt_reports/Ryan_CICA-VOL4-05.pdf
- Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. 1995. “Concerning the Reply of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith on the Teaching Contained in the Apostolic Letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis.” http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_19951028_commento-dubium-ordinatio-sac_en.html
- Cronin, Ann. 2006. “Sexuality in gerontology: a heteronormative presence, a queer absence.” In Aging and Diversity. Multiple pathways and cultural migrations, edited by Svein Olav Daatland and Simon Biggs, 107-19. Bristol: Bristol University Press.
- Curtin, Bishop Terence. 2017. “Public Hearing – Case Study 50. (Day 252).” The Royal Commission into the Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. https://www.childabuseroyalCommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/filelist/Case%20Study%2050%20%20Transcript%20%20Institutional%20review%20of%20Catholic%20Church%20authorities%20-%20Day%20252%20-%2021022017.pdf
- Deetman, Wim. 2011. “Seksueel Misbruik van Minderjarigen in de Rooms-Katholieke Kerk.” Uitgebreide Versie, Deel 1 Het Onderzoek. http://bishopaccountability.org/reports/2011_12_16_Deetman_Seksueel_Misbruik/Deetman_Report_Volume_1.pdf
- Deutsche Welle. 2019. “Child sex abuse inquiry in Germany says victims need more support.” https://www.dw.com/en/child-sex-abuse-inquiry-in-germany-says-victims-need-more-support/a-48192845
- Dolto, Françoise. n.d. “Lettre ouverte a la Commission de revision du code penal pour la revision de Letter certains textes regissant les rapports entre adultes et minuers.” http://www.dolto.fr/fd-code-penal-crp.html
- Donohue, William. 2020. “Sexual Abuse Data Near Zero.” Catalyst. 47, no. 6: 1.
- The Dublin Archdiocese Commission of Investigation. 2011. “Report by Commission of Investigation into Catholic Diocese of Cloyne.” http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Cloyne_Rpt.pdf/Files/Cloyne_Rpt.pdf
- The Dublin Archdiocese Commission of Investigation. 2009. “Commission of Investigation Report into the Catholic Diocese of Dublin.” http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/DACOI%20Part%201.pdf/Files/DACOI%20Part%201.pdf
- Eskridge, William N. 2008. Dishonorable Passions: Sodomy Laws in America, 1861-2003. New York: Viking Press.
- Faller, Kathleen 1991. “Possible explanations for child sexual abuse allegations in divorce.” American Journal of Orthopsychiatry 61:86–91.
- The Ferns Inquiry. 2005. “The Ferns Report.” https://archive.org/stream/243711-2-complete-ferns-report-so-ireland/243711-2-complete-ferns-report-so-ireland_djvu.txt
- Fones, Calvin S.L. et al. 1999. “The Sexual Struggles of 23 Clergymen: A Follow-up Study.” Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy 25 (3): 183-95.
- Freckelton Ian 1996. “Repressed memory syndrome: Counterintuitive or counterproductive?” Criminal Law Journal 20 (1): 1-20.
- Friel, Chris S. n.d.a. “Believing Victims and Institutional Stupidity.” Accessed January 22, 2021. https://independent.academia.edu/ChrisFriel
- Friel, Chris S. n.d.b. “On the Influence of Waller and Barrett on the Pell case.” Accessed January 22, 2021. https://www.academia.edu/38915020/On_the_Influence_of_Waller_and_Barrett_on_the_Pell_Case
- Goldstein, Alan M., and Irving B. Weiner, eds. 2007. Handbook of Psychology. Volume 11. Forensic Psychology. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Goode, Hellen, Hannah McGee, and Claran O’Boyle. 2003. Time to Listen: Confronting Child Sexual Abuse by Catholic Clergy in Ireland. Dublin: The Liffey Press.
- Groth, A. Nicholas, William F. Hobson, and Thomas S. Gary. 1982. “The Child Molester: Clinical Observations.” In Social Work and Child Sexual Abuse, edited by Jon Conte and David A. Shore, 129-42. New York: Haworth Press.
- Grove, Justice, et al. 1995. “R v Tillott.” 38 NSWLR 1. https://nswlr.com.au/
- The Guardian. 2019. “George Pell appeals over ‘fundamental irregularity’ in his sexual abuse trial.” https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/mar/01/george-pell-appeals-over-fundamental-irregularity-in-his-sexual-abuse-trial
- Guilliatt, Richard. 2017. “Child sex abuse inquiries stance on recovered memories raises fears as report release nears.” The Weekend Australian Magazine. https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/inquirer/child-sex-abuse-inquirys-stanceonrecovered-memories-raises-fears-as-reportreleasenears/newsstory/d6deed03a1448507f6344b9bfe92358c
- Haywood, Thomas W., Howard M. Kravitz, Linda S. Grossman, Orest E. Wasyliw, and Daniel W. Hardy. 1996. “Psychological Aspects of Sexual Functioning Among Cleric and Non-Cleric Alleged Sex Offenders.” Child Sexual Abuse & Neglect 20 (6): 527-536.
- Henriques, Richard. 2016. “An Independent Review of the Metropolitan Police Service’s Handling of Non-Recent Sexual Offence Investigations Alleged against Persons of Public Prominence.” https://j4mb.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/161108-henriques-report.pdf
- Holmes, Ronald M. and Stephen T. Holmes. 2002. Profiling Violent Criminals. London: SAGE Publications.
- Hunt, Justice. 1993. “R v Jenkyns.” 32 NSWLR 712 at 714. https://nswlr.com.au/
- IICSA Research Team. 2020. “Truth Project Thematic Report. Child sexual abuse in custodial institutions.” https://www.iicsa.org.uk/key-documents/18311/view/truth-project-thematic-report-child-sexual-abuse-custodial-institutions.pdf
- IICSA Research Team. 2017. “Child sexual abuse within the Catholic and Anglican Churches: a rapid evidence assessment.” https://www.iicsa.org.uk/key-documents/3361/view/iicsa-rea-child-sexual-abuse-anglican-catholic-churches-nov-2017-.pdf
- Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse. n.d.a. “Background.” Accessed February 18, 2019. https://www.iicsa.org.uk/background
- Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse. n.d.b. “How we Work.” Accessed January 25, 2021. https://www.iicsa.org.uk/how-we-work
- Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse. n.d.c. “How we Work.” Accessed January 25, 2021. https://www.iicsa.org.uk/how-we-work
- Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse. n.d.d. “Terms of Reference.” https://www.iicsa.org.uk/terms-reference.
- Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse. 2020. “The Roman Catholic Church. Safeguarding in the Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales.” https://www.iicsa.org.uk/publications/investigation/roman-catholic-church
- Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse. 2019a. “The Anglican Church. Case Studies: 1. The Diocese of Chichester 2. The response to allegations against Peter Ball. Investigation Report.” https://www.iicsa.org.uk/key-documents/11301/view/anglican-church-case-studies-chichester-peter-ball-investigation-report-may-2019.pdf
- Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse. 2019b. “The Roman Catholic Church. Case Study: Archdiocese of Birmingham.”. https://www.iicsa.org.uk/publications/investigation/birmingham-archdiocese
- Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse. 2019c. “The Roman Catholic Church. Case Study: English Benedictine Congregation. 1. Ealing Abbey and St Benedict’s School, 2. Ampleforth and Downside Update.” https://www.iicsa.org.uk/publications/investigation/english-benedictine-congregation-ealing-abbey
- Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse. 2018. “Ampleforth and Downside. (English Benedictine Congregation Case Study) Investigation Report.” https://www.iicsa.org.uk/document/ampleforth-and-downside-investigation-report-august-2018
- Ingram, Virginia. 2017a. “Child Sexual Abuse and the Roman Catholic Church in Australia: What the Royal Commission Tells Us” ABC Religion and Ethics. http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/2017/12/22/4784037.htm
- Ingram, Virginia. 2017b. “Child Sexual Abuse and Australia’s Catholic Church.” Italian Insider.
- Ingram, Virginia. 2018. Child Sexual Abuse and the Roman Catholic Church in Australia: What the Royal Commission Tells Us. Abundant Life.
- James, Barry. 2002. “Priests and pedophilia: a scandal not only in America.” New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/19/news/priests-and-pedophiliaa-scandal-not-only-in-america.html
- Johnson, Stephen. 2017. “Shocking Church data finds SEVEN per cent of all Catholic priests are accused paedophiles – and in some orders the number jumps to more than one in five.” Mail Online. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4194452/Catholic-Church-reveals-7pct-priests-accused-abusers.html
- Jones, David, P. H. and J. Melbourne McGraw 1987. “Reliable and fictitious accounts of sexual abuse in children.” Journal of Interpersonal Violence (2): 27–45.
- Kafka, Martin P. 2004. “Sexual molesters of adolescents, ephebophilia, and Catholic clergy: A review and synthesis.” In Sexual abuse in the Catholic Church: Scientific and legal perspectives, edited by Robert Karl Hanson, Pfafflin Friedmann, and Manfred Lutz, 51-9. Vatican: Libreria Editrico Vaticana.
- Kaufman, Keith and Marcus Erooga. 2016. “Risk profiles for institutional child sexual abuse. A Literature Review.” The Royal Commission into the Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.https://www.childabuseroyalCommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/filelist/Research%20Report%20%20Risk%20profiles%20for%20institutional%20child%20sexual%20abuse%20-%20Causes.pdf
- Keenan, Marie. 2012. Child Sexual Abuse and the Catholic Church: Gender Power and Organizational Culture. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Keifel, Chief Justice, et al. The High Court of Australia. 2020. George Pell v The Queen. http://eresources.hcourt.gov.au/showCase/2020/HCA/12
- Kelly, Andrew F. 1998. “Clergy Offenders.” In Sourcebook of Treatment for Sexual Offenders, edited by W. L. Marshall et al., 303-18. New York: Planum Press.
- Kezelman, Cathy. 2010. Innocence Revisited. Victoria: Jojo Publishing.
- Langevin, Ron Suzanne Curnoe, and Jerald Bain. 2000. “A study of clerics who commit sexual offenses: are they different from other sex offenders?” Child Abuse and Neglect 24 (4): 535-45.
- Lansdown, Andrew. 2019.“Journeying into Injustice: The National Redress Scheme and the Christian Churches.” Apologetics, Historic child sexual abuse. https://www.lifeministries.org.au/journeying-into-injustice-the-national-redress-scheme-the-christian-churches/
- Law Reform Commission. n.d. “Commission recommends abolition of public justice office.” Accessed January 25, 2021.
- Lea, Susan J., Laura Hunt, and Steve Shaw. 2010. “Sexual Assault of Older Women by Strangers.” Journal of Interpersonal Violence 26 (11): 2303–20.
- LGBT Project Wiki. n.d. “North American Man/Boy Association.”
- Loftus Elizabeth and Katherine Ketcham. 1994. The Myth of Repressed Memory: False Memories and Allegations of Sexual Abuse. St Martin’s Press: New York.
- Louisiana State Legislature. n.d. “RS 40:1061.” Chapter 5: Health Provisions: Abortion. Accessed January 22, 2021. http://legis.la.gov/Legis/Law.aspx?p=y&d=97020
- McCarthy, Joanne. 2018. “Archbishop Phillip Wilson wins appeal to quash conviction of failing to report allegations of child sexual abuse.” The Herald. https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5798611/wilson-appeal-judge-it-is-not-for-me-to-punish-the-catholic-Church-for-its-institutional-moral-deficits/
- McCarthy, Padraig. n.d. “Critical analysis of the Murphy Report.” Association of Catholic Priests. https://www.associationofcatholicpriests.ie/2010/10/rite-and-reason-time-for-a-reasoned-and-critical-analysis-of-murphy-report-padraig-mccarthy/
- McClellan, Justice. 2017a. “Final Sitting Opening Address.” The Royal Commission into the Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. https://www.childabuseroyalCommission.gov.au/speeches/final-sitting-address.
- McClellan, Justice. 2017b. “Public Hearing – Case Study 50. (Day 254).” The Royal Commission into the Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. https://www.childabuseroyalCommission.gov.au/case-studies/case-study-50-institutional-review-catholic-Church-authorities
- McGarry, Patsy. 2018. “Falsely accused of child sexual abuse: ordeal of innocent priests.” The Irish Times. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/falsely-accused-of-child-sex-abuse-ordeal-of-innocent-priests-1.2972906
- Menon, Praveen. 2020. “New Zealand child abuse inquiry finds quarter of a million harmed in state and faith-based care.” Reuters Online. https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-newzealand-abuse/new-zealand-inquiry-finds-quarter-of-a-million-abused-in-state-and-faith-based-care-idUKKBN28Q0B7
- Miller, Virginia. 2018. “Speaking the Truth in Love (Eph 4:15): An Analysis of the Findings of the Royal Commission into the Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.” St Mark’s Review 3: 72-98
- Minder, Raphael. 2017. “Spanish Court Clears Priest in Abuse Case Taken up by Pope Francis.” The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/11/world/europe/spain-pope-francis-roman-martinez.html
- Mozingo, Joe and John Spano. 2007. “$660-million settlement in priest abuses.” Los Angeles Times. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2007-jul-15-me-priests15-story.html
- NSW Government. n.d. “NSW Government Guiding Principles for Government Agencies Responding to Civil Claims for Child Sexual Abuse.” Accessed February 21, 2019. http://www.justice.nsw.gov.au/legal-services-coordination/Pages/info-for-govt-agencies/guiding-principles-civil-claims-child-sexual-abuse.aspx
- O’Hoisin SC, Colm and Conor MacGuire SC. 2007. “Submission on Behalf of Oblates of Mary Immaculate to the Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse.” http://childabusecommission.ie/
- O’Loughlin, Frank. 2017. “Public Hearing – Case Study 50. (Day 245).” The Royal Commission into the Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. https://www.childabuseroyalCommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/file-list/transcript-day-245.pdf
- O’Loughlin, Michael. 2017. “Chicago archdiocese wins claim against false sex abuse allegations.”
- O’Rourke, Terence. Report on Financial matters relating to St Vincent’s Industrial School at Goldenbridge. December 2006.
- Pope Francis. 2018. “Letter of His Holiness Pope Francis to the People of God.” http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/letters/2018/documents/papa-francesco_20180820_lettera-popolo-didio.html
- Pope Francis. 2019. “Vos Estis Lux Mundi.” http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/motu_proprio/documents/papa-francesco-motu-proprio-20190507_vos-estis-lux-mundi.html
- Pope John Paul II. 2001. “Sacramentorum Sanctitatis Tutela.” http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/motu_proprio/documents/hf_jp-ii_motu-proprio_20020110_sacramentorum-sanctitatis-tutela.html
- Poole, Debra A. and D. Stephen Lindsay. 1997. “Misinformation from parents and children’s source monitoring: Implications for testimony.” In K. P. Roberts (Chair), Children’s source monitoring and eye witness testimony. Symposium conducted at the meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Washington, DC.
- Powell, Mark. 2020. “The George Pell travesty is over. Now journalists, politicians and courts all stand condemned.” The Spectator. https://www.spectator.com.au/2020/04/the-george-pell-travesty-is-over-now-journalists-politicians-and-courts-all-stand-condemned/
- Prentky, Robert and Howard Barbaree. 2011. “Commentary: Hebephilia- a would-be paraphilia caught in the twilight zone between prepubescence and adulthood.” The Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law 39 (4): 506–510.
- Prowse, Christopher. 2018. “Reporting scheme shouldn’t ignore Catholic communities’ concerns.” The Canberra Times. https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6016543/reporting-scheme-shouldnt-ignore-catholic-communitys-concerns/
- Quinsey, Vernon L., Grant T. Harris, Marnie E. Rice, and Catherine A. Cormier. 1998. Violent offenders: Appraising and managing risk. Washington, DC.: American Psychological Association.
- La Repubblica. 2017. “Australia, paradiso degli orchi. Dal 1950 il 7% dei pretir accusati di pedofilia”. As reposted on the ABC News website. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-30/la-repubblicas-paradise-of-orcs-story/8667678
- Republic of Ireland. 2002. “Residential Institutions Redress Act.” https://www.rirb.ie/documents/act_13_2002.pdf
- Reserve Bank of Australia. n.d. Inflation Calculator. Accessed February 21, 2019. http://www.rba.gov.au/calculator/annualDecimal.html
- Rossetti, Stephen J. 1995. “The Mark of Cain: Reintegrating Pedophiles.” America 173 (6): 9-13.
- Rosminian Institute. n.d. “Submission of the Rosminian Institute.” Accessed June 17, 2019. http://www.childabuseCommission.ie/rpt/04-02B.php
- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists. 1996. “Clinical memorandum #17, guidelines for psychiatrists dealing with repressed traumatic memories.” RCPS Exhibit 2730/6. https://www.ranzcp.org/home
- Royal Commission into the New South Wales Police Service and Wood, J. R. T. and NSW Child Protection Council. 1997. Final Report. Sydney: Royal Commission into the New South Wales Police Service.
- Royal Commission of Inquiry into Historical Abuse in State Care and in the Care of Faith-Based Institutions. 2020. “Indicative Estimates of the Size of Cohorts and Levels of Abuse in State and Faith-Based Care 1950 – 2019.” https://www.abuseincare.org.nz/library/v/195/size-of-cohorts-and-levels-of-abuse-in-state-and-faith-based-care-1950-to-2019
- Royal Commission of Inquiry into Historical Abuse in State Care and in the Care of Faith-Based Institutions. n.d. “Cohort Study and Economic Report, Question: Why does the Royal Commission have so few registrations compared to estimated number of abused people in care?” Accessed December 19, 2020 https://www.abuseincare.org.nz/reports/
- The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. 2017. “Final Report. Our Inquiry.” Vol. 1. https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/final_report_-_volume_1_our_inquiry.pdf
- The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. 2017. “Final Report. Nature and cause.” Vol. 2.
- The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. 2017. “Final Report. Religious Institutions.” Vol 16. Book 1. https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/final_report_-_volume_16_religious_institutions_book_1.pdf
- The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. 2017. “Final Report. Religious Institutions.” Vol. 16. Book 2. https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/final_report_-_volume_16_religious_institutions_book_2.pdf
- The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. 2017. “Final Report. Religious Institutions.” Vol. 16. Book 3. https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/final_report_-_volume_16_religious_institutions_book_3_0.pdf
- The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. 2017a. “Analysis of Claims of Child Sexual Abuse Made with Respect to Catholic Church Institutions in Australia.” https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/research_report_-_analysis_of_claims_of_made_with_respect_to_catholic_church_institutions_-_institutions_of_interest_0.pdf
- The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. 2017c. “Analysis of Complaints of Child Sexual Abuse Received by Anglican Church Dioceses in Australia.”
- The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. 2017b. “Criminal Justice Report. Executive Summary and Parts I-II.” https://www.childabuseroyalCommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/file-list/final_report_-_criminal_justice_report_-_executive_summary_and_parts_i_to_ii.pdf
- Ruzicka, Mary F. 1997. “Predictor variables of clergy pedophiles.” Psychological Reports 80: 589-590.
- Secretariat of State of the Holy See. 2020. “Report on the Holy See’s Institutional Knowledge and Decision-Making Related to Former Cardinal Theodore Edgar McCarrick (1930 – 2017).” http://www.vatican.va/resources/resources_rapporto-card-mccarrick_20201110_en.pdf
- Shine Lawyers. n.d. Redress Scheme Update. Accessed February 21, 2019. https://www.shine.com.au/service/abuse-law/royal-Commission/redress-scheme-update
- Silvano, Tomasi. 2009. “Vatican Sets Record Straight on Sexual Abuse.” Catholic Education Resource Centre. https://www.catholiceducation.org/en/controversy/common-misconceptions/vatican-sets-record-straight-on-sexual-abuse.html
- Sipe, Richard. 2004. Living the Celibate Life. Liguori: Liguori Publications.
- Sipe, Richard. 2014. Sex, Priests, and Power. Anatomy of a Crisis. New York: Routledge Publishers.
- Sipe, Richard. n.d. “The Sipe Report.” Accessed January 22, 2021. http://www.awrsipe.com/reports/sipe_report.htm
- Spataro, Josie, Paul E. Mullen, Philip M. Burgess, David L. Wells, and Simon A. Moss. 2004. “Impact of Child Sexual Abuse on Mental Health: Prospective Study in Males and Females.” British Journal of Psychiatry 184, no. 5: 416-21.
- Sullins, Paul. 2018. “Is Catholic clergy sex abuse related to homosexual priests?” The National Catholic Bioethics Quarterly 18 no.4: 671-97.
- Supreme Court of NSW. n.d. “Vexatious Proceedings.” Accessed September 1, 2018. http://www.supremecourt.justice.nsw.gov.au/Pages/SCO2_practiceprocedure/SCO2_vexatiousproceedings.aspx#Istherearegisterofvexatiouslitigantsandtheordersthatapplytothem
- Table 4. n.d. “Child protection allegations of abuse by role of abuser and types of abuse.” https://www.iicsa.org.uk/key-documents/19432/view/INQ001009_043.pdf
- Table 5. n.d. “Date when abuse first occurred by type and total number of victims/ survivors.” https://www.iicsa.org.uk/key-documents/19430/view/INQ001009_044.pdf
- TDB Advisory. 2020. “Peer Review of Martin Jenkins Report.” https://www.abuseincare.org.nz/library/v/195/size-of-cohorts-and-levels-of-abuse-in-state-and-faith-based-care-1950-to-2019
- Terry, Karen J. 2017. “cv.” http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/sites/default/files/faculty/cv/CV2017_March.pdf
- Terry, Karen et al. 2011. “The Causes and Context of Sexual Abuse of Minors by Catholic Priests in the United States, 1950-2010.” http://votf.org/johnjay/John_Jay_Causes_and_Context_Report.pdf
- The Truth Justice and Healing Council. 2018a. Where from and where to: The Truth Justice Healing Council, the Royal Commission and the Catholic Church in Australia. Vol. 1. http://www.tjhcouncil.org.au/img/pdf/TJHC-Volume-4.pdf
- The Truth Justice Healing Council. 2018b. The Royal Commission’s recommendations, and responses from the Truth, Justice, Healing Council. Vol. 2. http://www.tjhcouncil.org.au/img/pdf/TJHC-Volume-2.pdf
- The Truth Justice Healing Council. 2018c. “What we have done: an activity report from the Truth Justice Healing Council 2013-2018.” Vol. 3. http://www.tjhcouncil.org.au/img/pdf/TJHC-Volume-3.pdf
- The Truth Justice Healing Council. 2016. “Emerging Themes: A snapshot of approaches taken by Church authorities in Australia to formation, governance, legal and policy issues (2016).” Vol. 4. http://www.tjhcouncil.org.au/img/pdf/TJHC-Volume-4.pdf
- The Truth Justice Healing Council. n.d. “Melbourne Response.” http://www.tjhcouncil.org.au/support/melbourne-response.aspx
- Ting, Inga. 2017.“By the numbers: Royal Commission into the Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.” https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-15/royal-commission-child-sexual-abuse-by-the-numbers/9263800
- Weinberg, Mark. 2019. “George Pell v the Queen.” Supreme Court of Victoria court of Appeal.
- Wright, Katie, Shurlee Swain, and Johanna Sköld. 2020. The Age of Inquiry: A global mapping of institutional abuse inquiries. Second edition. Melbourne: La Trobe University.
- Yosufvai, Rashida. 2018. “‘Shame’: PM to Churches, institutions that fail to sign redress scheme.” SBS News. https://www.sbs.com.au/news/shame-pm-to-Churches-institutions-that-fail-to-sign-to-redress-scheme