The University of Florence promotes the principles of Open Access as defined in the Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities
of 2003. The Berlin declaration states that Open access contributions include original scientific research results, raw data and metadata, source materials, digital representations of pictorial and graphical materials and scholarly multimedia material, that satisfy two conditions:
- The author(s) and right holder(s) of such contributions grant(s) to all users a free, irrevocable, worldwide, right of access to, and a license to copy, use, distribute, transmit and display the work publicly and to make and distribute derivative works, in any digital medium for any responsible purpose, subject to proper attribution of authorship (community standards, will continue to provide the mechanism for enforcement of proper attribution and responsible use of the published work, as they do now), as well as the right to make small numbers of printed copies for their personal use.
- A complete version of the work and all supplemental materials, including a copy of the permission as stated above, in an appropriate standard electronic format is deposited (and thus published) in at least one online repository using suitable technical standards (such as the Open Archive definitions) that is supported and maintained by an academic institution, scholarly society, government agency, or other well-established organization that seeks to enable open access, unrestricted distribution, inter operability, and long-term archiving.
Firenze University Press fully supports Open Access publishing as an exceptional tool to share ideas and knowledge in all disciplines with an open, collaborative and non-profit approach. Open Access books and book chapters allow the research community to achieve wide and rapid dissemination in all book formats, as well as a high impact of their research.
All Firenze University Press content and metadata are published in Open Access, released under Creative Commons licensees stating the Author as the copyright holder:
- Publication agreement: before the publication, after the acceptance of the manuscript, authors have to sign a Publication Agreement.
- Copyright: Authors retain copyright of the book and book chapters published by FUP without the exclusive transfer of rights.
- Open Access licensing: all books and chapters are published under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0) by default. Other Creative Commons licenses are available on Authors’ requests.
FUP strongly supports self-archiving. Authors of book and chapter are encouraged to deposit the published version in their institutional repository or any suitable subject repository on publication.